Error message

Warning: ini_set(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in drupal_environment_initialize() (line 692 of /var/sites/k/kstoneltd.co.uk/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc).

64 Milson Road, Holland Park, London

Front facade brick and stone repair, and brick cleaning - before

Front facade brick and stone repair, and brick cleaning - after

The front facade was was in need of the following repairs:

  • One corbel stone was missing from the facade. Based on the existing ones, we have custom made one to match the originals, then installed and blended it in to match the existing corbel stones.
  • The cornice was damaged by more than 10 deep and wide cracks. We have cleaned the cracks from any loose material and filled them in.
  • The cornice had also three pad stones which were severely damaged. Mortar is more flexible than cement, hence our choice to used it to repair the damaged pad stones.
  • The windows columns, sills and heads were severely damaged with missing bits and deep cracks. Similar to the pad stones repair, we used mortar to repair the moulded perimeter details of the windows heads, the windows sills and the windows columns and their base.
  • The facade's brickwork had been cleaned using Neolith 625 SS.
  • The entire brickwork of the elevation had been severely weatheres and in need of new pointing. The re-pointing was done after the fasade was thoroughly cleaned.
  • TFinally the cornice and the windows heads have been painted with masonry paint. 

Side facade brick and stone repair, and brick cleaning - before

Side facade brick and stone repair, and brick cleaning - after 

The side facade was missing four corbel stones; The cornice suffered more than 20 deep and wide cracks; Six pad stones were broken with bits missing; The windows heads were severely damaged (one of the windows head needed steel reinforcement). The brickwork was in very poor condition needing re-pointing and cleaning.

  • Four corbel stones had been custom made and installed.
  • The cracks of the cornice had been cleaned from any loose material and filled in.
  • One of the windows heads was so damaged that it needed reinforcemen, hence two horizontal slot had been cut in and reinforced with 8mm stainless stell bars. Then the entire window head was rebuilt completely.
  • Mortar repair had been carried out to the damaged pad stones, the moulded perimeter details of the windows heads, the windows columns and their base.
  • The facade's brickwork was cleaned out with Neolith 625 SS.
  • Pointing of the entire brickwork of the elevation.
  • The cornice and the windows heads were painted with masonry paint. 

Corbel stone repair - before

Corbel stone repair - after

  • Entire elevation's brickwork was re-pointed.
  • Any damaged bricks on the top row were repaired and finally rendered.
  • Cracks of the cornice were cleaned out and filled in
  • Four new corbel stones were custom made and installed.
  • Damages to the windows heads were repaired with mortar.
  • Cleaning of the brickwork with Neolith 625 SS.
  • The Cornice and the windows heads were painted with masonry paint.

Cornice and Sill repair - before

Cornice and Sill repair - after

  • Mortar repair to the windows sills.
  • Mortar repair to the windows heads.
  • Mortar repair to the windows pad stones
  • Cleaning of the brickwork with Neolith 625 SS.
  • Painting of the windows sills, heads and pad stones with masonry paint.

All mortar repairs are carried out after carefully cutting the damaged areas and reinforcing the edges using 3mm stainless steel wire.

The chemical cleaning of the brickwork for this project was requested when the mortar repairs were already completed. Regardless of the fact that we have chosen the most suitable and safest chemical for this particular case (Neolith 625 SS does not react with sandstone, however it is harmful to limestone), this late request has brought the additional effort to carefully protect all of the mortar repairs. Ideally the chemical cleaning should have been done first in order not to affect any non-settled mortar. The three days spent only in protecting the mortar has paid off and the final result was pleasing.

Regardless of the late request for brickwork chemical cleaning, the project was completed right on time before the scaffolding to be taken down.

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p> <br>
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.